Advocates Celebrate Win as Judge Halts Most ICE Arrests at NYC Immigration Courts

Ken Lund from Reno, Nevada, USA, CC BY-SA 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

A federal judge has ordered a halt to most Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrests in and around New York City immigration courts, marking a significant development in an ongoing legal dispute over enforcement practices.

U.S. District Judge P. Kevin Castel of the Southern District of New York granted a stay Monday prohibiting civil immigration arrests at or near the city’s main immigration courthouses, including 26 Federal Plaza, 290 Broadway and 201 Varick St. The order requires federal immigration authorities to comply with ICE’s 2021 guidance, which generally bars enforcement actions in or near courthouses except in limited circumstances.

The ruling follows findings that ICE misled the court about the legality of its arrest practices at immigration courts, according to advocacy groups involved in the case.

Immigrant rights advocates welcomed the decision, saying courthouse arrests had discouraged people from attending hearings and undermined confidence in the legal system.

Subscribe to NepYork for Free 🙏

Now, you won't miss any updates on U.S. visas, Green Cards, and all immigration news, as well as essential information and resources on housing, taxes, healthcare, and more. Get it all delivered straight to your inbox.

“Every immigrant New Yorker deserves the ability to access immigration courts and navigate legal proceedings without fear of being unlawfully detained or separated from their family,” said Murad Awawdeh, president and CEO of the New York Immigration Coalition. He added that the practice had “sown fear” and called for full compliance with the order and the closure of the detention facility at 26 Federal Plaza.

New York State Assemblymember Steven Raga also praised the ruling, calling it “an important step toward reasserting the rule of law.” Raga said he was among several elected officials arrested during a protest at 26 Federal Plaza, where demonstrators engaged in civil disobedience over due process concerns.

Raga alleged that individuals, including children, had been detained in “inhumane conditions” after attending court proceedings. He also criticized the federal government’s handling of the case, noting that officials acknowledged providing inaccurate information to the court about ICE’s practices.

The lawsuit prompting the ruling was brought by advocacy organizations including African Communities Together and The Door, with legal support from the New York Civil Liberties Union and the National Immigration Law Center.