USCIS Clarifies: TPS Holders Can Pursue Nonimmigrant Status

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) clarifies that individuals with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) can still apply for and maintain other nonimmigrant statuses, such as F-1 student visas.

“Registration for TPS does not prevent an individual from applying for or maintaining a nonimmigrant status, such as F-1 academic student,” said USCIS.

This means that even if you have TPS, you can:

  • Apply for a new nonimmigrant visa, such as an F-1 student visa, H-1B work visa, or B-2 visitor visa.
  • Maintain an existing nonimmigrant visa as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements for that specific status.

USCIS emphasizes that applying for TPS has no bearing on your eligibility for other immigration benefits, and vice versa.

It’s important to remember that TPS is a temporary benefit and does not lead to a path to permanent residency. Additionally, individuals with TPS who travel outside the U.S. generally need to obtain a travel authorization document before attempting to re-enter the country.

For further information and specific guidance, it’s recommended to consult directly with USCIS or an immigration attorney.